2009年6月17日星期三

Poetry analysis

I feel so great that it is second semester already, of course, this signals the mock and final exams are coming soon. Recalling what happened last semester, I do agree that EALD is a tough subject. We discussed about the culture and all the abstract issues regarding culture. But what I afraid the most is the English itself, the language empowerment!

Study English literature remains me about my Chinese lesson in my secondary school. What I mean is Chinese literature, those who had studied it will know. A Chinese, typically, is more shy and reserved. He or she will prefer to express what he or she thinks in figurative ways and not in literal way. That is part of the reason why SPM Chinese is so hard to score!

Funny, a future engineer is comparing the rose with love!

Poem is an expression of emotion in figurative way. But, how the poets deal with those abstract themes (love, hope, war, loneliness...)? Metaphor, simile, personification, allusion and many other approaches give the solution. I personally think that metaphor is the best. Everything in nature has been assigned their meaning; for example, red is angry, white is clean and naive, blue is the unity, green is peaceful, spring is the hope, summer is active, autumn is leaving, winter is freezing. Wow, the world of hidden power is awaiting!

没有评论:

发表评论